Thursday, May 27, 2010

Essay#3- Working on Draft

Domestic Violence is a serious problem that affects people of different ethnic backgrounds, economics status, etc. It is a willful intimidation committed by men and women as a way to control their significant other. Usually this type of behavior is taught at a very young age when children witness their mother or father abusing their spouse and decide whether or not they want to repeat the cycle of abuse.

The song, "What About", by Janet Jackson was about a young woman who was being physically and emotionally abused by her boyfriend on a regular basis. Not only was he abusing his girlfriend, he was also cheating on her with another woman which made the situation even worse. In the first stanza, "we walked along the beach what a moon lit night, he held my hands in his he kissed me he said I wanna spend my life with you, I want you for my wife, just then I thought I thought". In the beginning of their relationship everything seemed to be going very well for them because they were talking about spending the rest of their lives together, at least he was telling his girlfriend that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. As he was talking about moving on to the next level of their relationship, she was thinking about the times she has been physically and emotionally abused by her boyfriend. "What about the times you lied to me, what about the times you said no one would want me, what about all the shit you've done to me, what about that what about that. What about the times you yelled at me, what about the times I cried you wouldn't even hold me what about those things, what about that what about that" (2nd stanza).

1 comment:

  1. This is a good start - along with the lyrics, tell us a little about what the song sounds and feels like when you listen to it. Then introduce some background - when was it written? What kind of an audience did it find? Was/Is there a movement around this issue? What reception did it get? Use your sources as you move through this section.

    ReplyDelete